book review: *chef's kiss by jarrett melendez



This graphic novel was everything I needed to start my new year right, it was incredibly wholesome, relatable and the art style is wonderful!

Book Title: Chef's Kiss
Publishing Date: 01 March 2022
Social Medias: @JarrettMelendez / @Karibu_Draws / @HankJonesColors / @OniPress

★★★★★

After graduating from school, Ben has been having a tough time finding a writing job when he stumbles across a ‘We’re Hiring’ sign in the window of a local establishment and decides to take the plunge into something entirely new. Navigating his parents disapproval, an awkward new boss, and his friends feeling left out - we’re along for the ride while Ben's path starts to become much less clear.

I absolutely adored this book. It was a story about feeling lost, finding joy and experiencing the mistakes and mishaps in between - as someone who struggled to find a direction after finishing university, this is something that I think will really resonate with it's readers, young and old and perhaps inspire them, too. 

The artwork was lovely; it’s really cute, easy on the eyes and adds a really soft vibe to the story! I really enjoyed the pages dedicated to cooking, too. I know it’s a food based graphic novel, but feeling like we were part of the process with the recipes and imagery really added that extra dimension.

The characters were brilliant - my favourites (aside from Ben) being the best friend and the grumpy boss figure; both with great personalities that I thought were really believable. I loved seeing the dynamic of how friendships and relationships change and grow as you navigate adulthood, with the inclusion of disagreements and learning to communicate better with the people around you. Then there was the pig (the one on the cover), he's a real character! That lovely animal is the pet of our restaurant manager and plays a role in Ben winning or losing at his new job - such a unique and fun part to the story. 

My overall favourite part of this comic was the underlying message it gave; that growth and experiencing new things is necessary to finding out who you want to be, and that it’s okay to stray from your once-planned path! Perfect for anyone who maybe needs that boost of confidence and encouragement. 

It had me not only resonating with the lead characters position, but smiling, laughing and ultimately wanting more! 




I was very kindly sent an eARC of this graphic novel in return for an honest review, a big thank you to Netgalley, Oni Press and Jarrett Melendez.

No comments